Snow, ice, mittens, and hot cocoa are just some of the words that are synonymous with winter.
However, in addition to these cheery symbolisms, winter can also be described as the darkest period of the year. There are many reasons for this negative perception. For example, the sky is usually cloudy during the winter and most people wake up for school or work before dawn and come home after the sunset. As a result of such a dull and cold atmosphere, it is not surprising that that winter has also become linked to comfort foods.
For this potentially dismal season, today we will present you the perfect lentil soup recipe that is sunny yellow from turmeric and creamy from coconut milk.
- The Powerful Healing Properties of Turmeric
Turmeric is an ancient healing spice that has become very popular in recent years due to its ability reduce inflammation, which is the main cause for chronic illnesses today. In addition to this, turmeric can also help in the treatment of numerous other health problems, including obesity, fatigue, depression, allergies, bronchitis, asthma, multiple sclerosis, psoriasis, Alzheimer’s, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.
Even if you aren’t suffering from any of the diseases mentioned above (we hope you don’t), you should keep in mind that stress is one of the biggest causes for inflammation. No matter how hard we try to avoid anxiety and tension, they will always find a way to affect us from time to time. Fortunately, in turmeric, we have a natural option that can help us deal with the adverse effects of stress.
- The Health Benefits of Apples
We all know the adage “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” This saying has been confirmed in many studies in the last few decades. As a result of their very high content of antioxidants, a regular consumption of apples can help prevent many serious health problems, such as asthma, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and even cancer. Furthermore, apples also have the ability to improve bone health and can provide a significant gastrointestinal protection.
Apples can be sweet or tart but are delicious either way. The apples in this soup are the perfect addition to the spices.
- Lentils: A Powerhouse of Nutrition
Lentils are full of antioxidants and are a good source of protein, magnesium, and iron. Red lentils, in particular, have been found to have more overall nutritive benefits when compared to other varieties. A diet rich in lentils can help you deal with many health issues, such as elevated cholesterol levels, hypertension, inflammatory bowel disease, and osteoporosis. Also, people who regularly consume lentils are at much lower risk of developing colon cancer.
- Turmeric Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk
You will need:
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 apples, cored and grated
- 2-3 cups of hot water
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse the red lentils with cold water and let them drain.
- Then, melt the coconut oil in a pot and sauté the onions until they become soft and golden.
- Add turmeric and apples, and cook for about two minutes, stirring frequently.
- After that, add the lentils and water. Bring the pot to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, covered.
- Next, add the coconut milk and spices, and mix well.
- Simmer until the lentils become soft. You can add another cup of water if you want a thinner consistency. For best flavor, it is recommended to simmer for two hours.
- Serve warm and garnish with pumpkin seeds.