Golden milk is a mixture of herbs and spices with coconut oil and coconut milk warmed up to create a tasty and nutrient-rich beverage that you can consume any time of the day, although many practitioners of traditional medicine say that the best time to drink this super healthy combination is before bed or immediately after waking up.
The actual name of Golden milk is Haldi ka doodh, which translates to turmeric milk in English. It is believed that it originates from Ayurveda, one of the oldest holistic healing systems in the world.
For centuries, many people consumed this powerful mixture to reduce inflammation, detoxify the liver, balance the blood sugar, and for many other health-boosting properties (you will find more info below).
What’s in Golden Milk?
Golden milk is a combination of super healthy ingredients such as turmeric powder, ginger root, black pepper, coconut oil, and coconut milk (you can also add honey for better taste). This mixture is commonly made as a milk and heated up, but you could also make pastes, teas, and other healthy variations of this popular beverage if you want to add it to your meals or simply to store it until you want to consume it again!
We will look through each ingredient separately in order to provide you with more detailed information about the health benefits of this succulent drink.
- Turmeric – In ancient medicine, turmeric has been used to treat liver disease, gastrointestinal problems, respiratory illnesses, as well as muscle and joint pain. This healing spice can be very helpful in the treatment of chronic and autoimmune diseases due to its powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Many studies have shown that turmeric has the ability to normalize blood sugar, detoxify the liver from environmental toxins, treat food allergies, and reduce the symptoms of depression. In addition to this, there are also some studies which suggest that turmeric even has cancer-fighting properties due to its active ingredient called curcumin. Do you need any more reasons to start cooking with this spice on a regular basis?
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil also has a plethora of health benefits, including promoting a healthy cardiovascular system, healthy weight, and strong immune system. Also, it improves digestion, helps prevent liver and kidney disease, and is an effective wound healer.
- Coconut milk – Coconut milk is not only a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, and zinc, but it is also rich in fatty acids that can help you get rid of excess gain and stabilize your blood sugar levels.
- Black pepper – Black pepper relieves cold and flu symptoms, fights anemia, and boost digestion. Additionally, this super healthy spice will also significantly improve turmeric absorption.
- Ginger – Ginger was an irreplaceable ingredient in folk medicine due to its ability to boost digestion, treat nausea, and ease cold and flu symptoms. Some recent studies have even found that ginger can help reduce muscle pain as a result of its strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- Honey – Honey can help you treat allergies and improve your sleep habits!
How to Make the Golden Milk?
You will need:
- 1 tsp. of turmeric
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tbsp. of coconut oil
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- A small piece (about a quarter to a half-inch wide) of fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. of raw organic honey (optional)
Instructions: Add all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, then pour the mixture into a saucepan to heat up for about five minutes (no boiling!). It is recommended to drink the golden milk before sleeping or after waking up in order experience the most of the numerous health benefits we mentioned above.