Every time you walk into a grocery store, you can easily find numerous products with garlic flavor, ranging from bread to chips to meat to salad dressings. The presence of this superfood in so many products is not strange at all.
As we all know, garlic has been celebrated since ancient times due to its powerful healing properties. For instance, people in Ancient Egypt used it to increase strength and productivity, while the Talmud, a Jewish text which dates back from the second century, prescribed garlic for parasites and other disorders.
Ancient Greek soldiers ate garlic before battles to enhance their courage. Ancient Romans, on the other hand, believed that garlic has the ability to improve cardiovascular health, treat gastrointestinal disorders, and reduce joint pain. This pattern continuous throughout ancient India, China, Japan, the middle Ages, and the Renaissance.
It looks like all those people were 100 percent right!
- Health Benefits of Garlic
Many studies conducted in recent years have confirmed everything in what people in the ancient time believed. It is not an exaggeration to say that this amazing plant is a superstar for health and healing. Some of the health benefits of garlic include:
- Prevents atherosclerosis and heart attacks
- Effectively reduces the levels of LDL (“bad”) cholesterol
- Helps normalize blood pressure
- Heals bug bites
- Alleviates the symptoms of common cold
- Helps in the treatment of fungal infections
- Destroys toxins
- Boosts the immune system
In addition to this, some studies also suggest that garlic can help control the symptoms of diabetes, enlarged prostate, and osteoarthritis.
If reading about these health-boosting properties is giving you garlic cravings, here is the proper way to consume it and improve your overall health.
- How To Consume Garlic
The best way to eat garlic is in its raw form, since heat reduces the effects of allicin, the main active ingredient of garlic, which provides many of its health benefits.
To reap its benefits, you should crush and chop the clove, let it sit for 15 minutes, and then add it to your meal. Crushing the garlic helps improve its bioavailability, so if you don’t have a garlic press, it’s a high time to buy one.
Moreover, you can also use the following natural remedies to strengthen your immune system and achieve optimal health.
- Garlic and Honey Recipe
- 2-3 raw garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
Combine the ingredients and enjoy! It’s as simple as that. It is recommended to take this mixture every day to increase your energy levels.
- Garlic Flu Tonic Recipe
If you are suffering from cold or flu and need a quick immunity boost, then try this healing tonic. It’s packed with super healthy foods.
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoons raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 red chili peppers, chopped
- In a 350-500 ml Mason jar, add a layer of chopped onion, followed by garlic, chili peppers, and ginger. End with the lemon juice and ACV.
- Seal the jar tightly, ensuring there is at least 1 cm of space from the rim.
- Store the jar in the pantry and consume the mixture regularly until your flu symptoms disappear. You can also take this remedy for prevention.